Renovating and transforming your home is a great way to make any house truly your own, big or small, while also adding significant value and appeal to the property. If you want to boost your initial investment, but want to do so with the use of DIY and simple home products, there are many different ways to get started, depending on where you intend to work in your house at the time. The more familiar you are with simple home products and DIY solutions, the easier it will be for you to create the property of your dreams without going over budget or breaking the bank.
Granite Counters Upgrade
If you are interested in investing in granite counters, but cannot currently do so entirely due to household budget restraints, there are a few simple home products that may help provide you with an alternative renovation project. Choosing to invest in various tile overlays, concrete overlays, or even specialized adhesive films to provide a granite-like appearance are all DIY options that can be implemented on your own, even if you do not have any masonry or cabinetry experience yourself. If you are interested in investing in granite countertops, but you want to do so while sticking to a limited budget, you can also turn to a professional countertop installation expert for advice.
Working with a professional countertop specialist or expert is a way for you to learn more about different types of granite and materials used for residential countertops that are appealing to you and suitable for your home ahead of time. When you are working with a countertop expert, you can also discuss your specific layout or design needs, especially if you are currently in the process of remodeling the entire kitchen, garage, or bathroom area you are working on. A professional countertop company or contractor will also be licensed and insured, protecting any investment you make while also protecting you from potential liabilities.
Remove Moss and Algae on the Roof
If you’re a homeowner, you know just how important it is to maintain your home’s roof year-round, regardless of the size of your home, your current location, and the age of your existing roof. If you want to skip calling on roofing contractors near you and instead, prefer to utilize simple home products to maintain your roof, you can do so with a bit of brainstorming and by choosing the solution that is right for your roof at the time. If you want to remove moss and algae from your roof, there is often no need to call on professionals to get the job done once you are familiar with some of the most popular formulas and solutions that can be created right in the comfort of your home.
Numerous solutions can be used to help remove algae and moss growth from your roof, depending on the type of roof you currently have installed and the climate you live in. A few options to keep in mind may include:
- Salt: Using a salt solution dissolved in warm or hot water will help remove buildup, debris, and moss from the roof. Once the salt solution is applied to your roof, allow it to sit and get to work for at least 2-3 days before rinsing the roofing surface.
- Vinegar: In addition to using salt, it is also possible to use a mixture of water and white vinegar as a cleaner and solvent. Spray the mixture of water and vinegar directly onto any surface area of your roof that is currently covered in algae or moss. Allow the mixture to set in place for 2-3 days before rinsing it with cold water.
- Baking Soda: If you have baking soda on hand, you can also choose to use it on its own. Simply pouring a bit of baking soda over accumulated moss and/or algae for a few days will allow the baking soda to get to work, removing tough-to-reach debris from the roof entirely.
If you are thinking of adding new light to an area of your home, you can do so with simple home products, so long as you are abiding by safety guidelines and regulations at all times. Making your own DIY lampshades can be done with the use of fireproof fabric, twine, and resistant paper, depending on the type of lamp you’re interested in creating around your home. If you are thinking of installing a new lamp light that will require an additional electrical outlet, however, you will want to take the time to find a professional electrical contractor to hire to get the job done right and with proper safety gear and equipment in place.
Anytime you require genuine electric services anywhere in or around your home, you will want to ensure the electrician you hire is not only experienced, but also licensed, certified, and insured. Verify any licensing, certifications, and insurance presented to you when you are seeking a professional electrician or company to hire to protect yourself and your investment. Proper and valid insurance and licensing will protect you from being held liable should an electrician find themselves shocked or injured in any other way while they are working anywhere in or around your home.
Whenever you want to create new lamp lights around the home, it’s important to do so with potential safety risks in mind. For instance, if you choose to implement decorative add-ons to existing lampshades in your home, you will want to do so by first verifying that the materials you intend to add to the lampshade will not cause a potential fire risk. Another way you can go about updating lamp lights in your home is to do so with simple base embellishments, which can add texture and colors or fabric to provide a brand-new look and aesthetic.
Creating your own bath bombs is one of the easiest DIY projects that you can do using only simple home products. When it comes to making bath bombs at home, you will want to spend a bit of time familiarizing yourself with various types of herbs, such as chamomile and lavender, which can be utilized for aromatherapy purposes. You can also learn about milk bath bombs, which can provide additional moisture to your skin while you are relaxing and decompressing in the bath after a long day at work or with children.
If you want to enjoy bath bombs at home but your bathroom is outdated or unappealing, it may be time to consider investing in a new bathroom remodel project. Renovating your bathroom will not only make it more welcoming and inviting to you, but it is also a way to add significant value and appeal to your home itself. When you want to remodel any bathroom in your home, it is always best to do so by working with professional contractors or remodeling companies near you that specialize in residential bathroom makeovers.
Vertical Garden or Planter Wall
If you have a green thumb or if you’re looking for a way to plant a garden that is not too massive, consider space-saving solutions, such as a vertical garden or planter wall, which can be constructed using simple home products. When you decide to invest in creating a vertical garden, you can do so with different items around the home, depending on the vision you have for the space. A few ideas you may want to consider and keep in mind when you are creating a planter wall or vertical garden anywhere in or around your property include:
- Pallets: Using wooden pallets is a great way to easily build a vertical garden, especially if you are doing so on a budget. You can often find wooden pallets at local warehouses or other industrial locations near you free of charge. Adding various types of landscaping decor and fabric can also bring any pallet wall you build to life.
- Mason jars: The use of mason jars is another option if you’re creating a planter wall, especially if you intend to do so with smaller flowers or with an herb garden. Mounting mason jars to a wooden board and hanging the board vertically is a great way to get started with the garden wall you envision for your home or yard. You can also add LED lights or battery-operated lighting to the mason jars to truly make an impression with your new vertical garden or planter wall.
- Bottles: If you have the tools available, you may also want to consider investing in making a bottle planter wall. Cutting glass bottles in half (with proper safety gear and equipment in place) can help give your wall planter a truly unique and rustic appearance.
If you are thinking of a more robust project that involves a vertical garden and a patio installation job, turning to professional contractors is best. Working with a professional contractor or local patio company is a way for you to create a layout and design for your new patio that aligns with the vision you have for the space. When you are working with professional patio contractors, you can also determine what type of vertical garden or planter is right for your yard and the space you have available.
If you want to use insect repellent on your property but you prefer to do so with the use of simple home products, there are many solutions to consider. When you’re making insect repellent of your own, consider using the following items:
- Essential oils: Using essential oils is one of the most common go-to’s when you are creating an insect repellent for inside or outside the house. Common essential oils that can be used to keep insects away include eucalyptus, witch hazel, lemongrass, and even citronella.
- Citronella candles: If you’re thinking of repelling insects such as mosquitoes in the summer, you can do so by creating citronella candles of your own.
If you live in a region where mosquitoes and other pests are out of control, you may also want to hire a local mosquito control service to mitigate the infestations you experience annually. Depending on where you live, hiring a professional mosquito control company or pest control service may be a necessity to help prevent major infestations while keeping pests to a minimum, even if you reside in an area where pests are more prevalent and likely to breed. Working with a qualified mosquito expert or pest control company is also a way for you to learn more about the most suitable pest control methods available today based on your exact location.
Giving your patio a makeover with simple home products is also possible, regardless of where you are located, the size of your patio, and any budget you are on at the time. Renovating outdated buckets, painting old decor, and even creating an outdoor rug with surrounding landscaping material are all ways to truly make your home’s patio your own. If you are interested in a brand-new patio, you can also work with a professional company that offers residential hardscaping services near you.
Making DIY furniture is also possible with the use of simple home products that you can find just about anywhere around the house. Whether you’re completing a garage door repair project or you’re working with a water damage contractor, there are likely items around the home that may come in handy once you are ready to get to work. If you’re creating DIY furniture, you can do so with spare wooden planks, proper tools, and proper securing equipment. Investing in staining solutions, paint, and sealers can also protect any DIY furniture you build.
Using simple home products to transform your home is a great way to do so creatively without overspending, especially if you have a limited budget at the time of your intended renovation. The more familiar you become with various areas of your home and the components used to keep your house in operation, the easier it will be for you to find solutions that can come in handy when you need the most. Using simple home products and DIY solutions can significantly alleviate the stressors that are commonly associated with investing in and owning any type of residential home or property today.